Essay Grades

Last Tuesday evening I received my essay grade on the text Oroonoko by Aphra Behn, which is worth 40% of the overall grade for the module of Restoration and Augustan Literature. The remaining 60% is an end of semester exam. The email contained all the student numbers with the corresponding grade and glancing through the list I found my grade which was a C3. A C3 is the equivalent of a scraping pass between 40% to 45% in UL, which means that out of the possible 40% of the overall module, I had only scored 16%. Needless to say, I was stunned and disheartened since I had put a lot of effort into reading the entire text and critically examining it. After allowing the initial shock to cool for a couple of days, I was spurned into action when a person in my course who lives in an inebriated state even when they do decide to attend college, scored an A1. Even worse is that a seventy two hours before the essay was due, this person asked me if we had to read the text to do the essay. Annoyed and advised by my mom, I contacted the lecturer asking to meet and discuss my grade. This is the reason why this post is being published today since I’ve gotten closure on the entire debacle, nearly a week since the results were posted.

This afternoon, I met up with one of the girl’s for lunch in college after being ensconced in the library for hours, examining the nuances within Shakespeare’s King Lear. After a chicken roll and a chocolate bar, I could feel my anxiety building and I had a feeling that I would get so annoyed I’d get upset and make a show of myself. I was meeting the lecturer at three, so I had to office hunt briefly but eventually found the room and I was still ten minutes early. I must admit, I was also sucking back on my one litre of water in anxiety and I was kinda hoping I wouldn’t spew on the lecturer due to ungraciously slugging water.

Three o’clock flashed on my phone and raptly knocking on the office door, I was invited to enter and sit down. After stating my name and business, he leafed through a bundle of papers until he fished out my essay. This lecturer in particular is noted for his dry wit and sarcasm, so when he said that the grade for my essay was actually a B1, I asked if he was kidding or if he was serious. It turned out that it was a clerical error, it seemed the copy and paste function got a  bit befuddled. Handing over my essay to peruse it to my leisure, I looked at the comments on the front page which said there was a good knowledge of the text, of the MLA referencing, well defended argument and layout and construction of the paragraphs was pleasing to the eye. After seeing the grade of B1, I happily handed back the essay without looking through it. After thanking the lecturer and shaking his hand, I was monumentally relieved.

Questioning everything is an personality trait which everyone should have and I’m in such good humour that all study for the exams is cancelled for this evening in favour of a tag-team genocide of a zombie infested world.

Advertisements

2 responses to “Essay Grades

  1. Well done on the good grade! ^_^

  2. Pingback: Hectic « Klaraflame

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s